Walstead Central Europe pursues its objectives in a way that respects both its employees and the environment.
Our Environmental Health & Safety Policy sets out how we minimize the environmental impacts of our own service offering and support our clients’ sustainability commitments.
Our commitments include reducing emissions, developing opportunities for recycling and pollution prevention, and using paper, energy and other resources more efficiently.
We achieve sustainability in a number of targeted ways.
GREEN PROCUREMENT across the supply chain by:
- Ensuring that print and packaging materials meet environmentally-responsible specifications.
- Choosing additional products and services that cause minimal environmental impacts.
- Minimizing waste throughout the supply chain.
- Informing clients on sustainable options.
- Encouraging sustainable practices among suppliers.
- Over 70% of paper FSC® or PEFC certified.
RESOURCE EFFICIENCY, or doing more with less.
- Identifying, measuring, and continuously improving consumption efficiencies for raw materials and other resources.
- Optimizing paper use.
- Undertaking Energy Reduction Programs.
- Pursuing Heat Recovery Initiatives.
- Implementing a Water Efficiency Program.
WASTE MINIMIZATION by Reducing, Reusing, Reprocessing and Recycling.
- Reducing Emissions using high-end regenerative thermal oxidizers (RTOs) to limit heatset printing emissions.
- Reusing (reprocessed) chemicals and (filtered) water to reduce resource consumption and discharge.
- Reprocessing ink to new ink specifications or re-mixing it into black (key) ink.
- Recycling 100% of waste paper, paper dust, printing plates, plastic wrap and recovered blanket wash-oil.
- Working only with certified waste contractors.
STEWARDSHIP – dedication to compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Learning and sharing best practices through internal and external training and communication to increase the awareness of all employees about the importance of forward-looking environmentally responsible behaviors.
- Regularly monitoring and reporting sustainability results.
- Adhering to the ISO 14001 Environmental management standard.
- Maintaining our EU Ecolabel certification.
- Successfully adapting our manufacturing processes to meet the emission standards of the IPPC Directive specified as BAT – Best available technology.
- European Economic Area Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemical substances Regulation (REACH EC 1907/2006) as amended in 2015 and
- 94/62/EC Packaging & Packaging Waste Directive.
Supporting clients in product-related compliance requirements (toy safety, food contact, etc.)
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY
Environmental Health & Safety
Walstead Central Europe is dedicated to adopting responsible business activities that are consistent with our reputation for integrity. Accordingly, Walstead Central Europe commits itself to:
- Strive for an injury free workplace;
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations in the countries in which we operate;
- Manage environmental aspects of our business to effectively and efficiently utilize natural resources where technically and economically feasible;
- Manufacture, source, and distribute products that meet all applicable safety regulations;
- Utilize management systems to promote continuous improvement.
QUALITY ASSURANCE & CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
At Walstead Central Europe, quality is always a top priority. We believe that quality is the responsibility of all employees, and therefore quality assurance procedures are implemented into all processes. We take a proactive approach to our quality standards and are committed to continuous improvement.
Our ISO 9001 certification standard supports quality awareness and compliance throughout the company. Our quality standards and procedures include:
Continuous Improvement program
Internal & external audits
High color management standards
Secure processing of customer data (ISO 27001)
Customer quality feedback
Corrective actions process (Global 8D methodology)
CONDITIONS OF SALE
Conditions of Sale
Our Conditions of Sale define the standard terms and conditions of cooperation with our clients.
At an operational level, Walstead Central Europe integrates the requirements and guidelines of international standards in the fields of quality, sustainability, safety and social responsibility.
Since 2003, the “premedia solutions, print and bind services, value added services and delivery of Walstead Central Europe printed products” are certified for compliance with the requirements of the international standards:
- ISO 9001 Quality management system, providing guidance and tools to ensure that products and services consistently meet client and regulatory requirements, and that quality is consistently improved.
- ISO1 14001 Environmental management system, providing a process that allows facilities to control the environmental impact of activities, products, and services, and to continuously improve environmental performance.
- OHSAS 18001 Occupational health and safety management system, ensuring the most efficient integration of safety into overall business operations.
Walstead Central Europe’ color reproduction processes comply with the specifications provided in international standards ISO 12647-1:2004 and ISO12647-2:2004/Amd 1:2007 Process control for the production of half-tone colour separations, proof and production prints.
Customer data used in personalization and addressing printed products is protected in line with ISO 27001:2015 Information security management system requirements.
Since 2009, third-party SMETA 4-Pillar audits confirm compliance with the Ethical Trading Initiative Base Code and labor standards, as well as health and safety, entitlement to work, subcontracting, environmental and business ethics practices.
Walstead Central Europe offers a range of environmental labels for products:
- EU Ecolabel: the official European label for Greener Products distinguishes products that meet high standards of performance and environmental quality and guarantees that:
- the printed product is recyclable,
- it is printed using paper with low environmental impact,
- chemicals emissions into air and water from paper production and the printing process have been limited.
- The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial, and economically viable management of the world’s forests and assures the social and environmental responsibility of forest products.
- PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes) promotes sustainably managed forests.
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative confirms responsible practices that play a critical role in ensuring the long-term health of forests.
FSC®, PEFC and SFI certification confirms the legal origin of timber material in paper, as well as its conformity with the highest requirements of forest management in the process of obtaining timber material. EU Ecolabel criteria are broader, covering: safety for people and to the environment of materials used in processes; optimization of energy and resources use; reduction of emissions and waste; use of hazardous chemicals; and application of sustainable management principles in paper production and printing process and throughout the entire lifecycle of the product to safeguard forests. The EU Ecolabel also ensures that a printed product is safe from a health perspective both for employees involved in its production and for end-users, as well as to the natural environment.
Walstead Central Europe confirm that its products comply with:
- European Community Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemical Substances Regulation (REACH EC 1907/2006) as amended in June of 2015 and
- 94/62/EC Packaging & Packaging Waste Directive
If required, we may support our Customers in confirming compliance with other product-related requirements.
ETHICAL BUSINESS CONDUCT
Principles of Ethical Business Conduct
Our Principles of Ethical Business Conduct are a reflection of our commitment to the highest standards of integrity in our relationships with one another and with customers, suppliers, stockholders and others in the communities where we live and work.
They are the foundation upon which Walstead Central Europe conducts business.